Over the years, S.O.L.A.R. has purchased a full range of gear to help our members enjoy the many classes, trips and activities that we offer. While outdoor fun can be an expensive thrill at times, S.O.L.A.R. members have access to a wide variety of gear for many activities at minimal or no cost. Members can also borrow equipment for non-S.O.L.A.R. activities.
How do I reserve a piece of equipment?
Contact the Equipment Manager, Phil Crookshank, via email or at (248)-797-2885.
Please read the "Equipment Use Rules" prior to reserving equipment. You can view the rental agreement here.
Equipment Use Rules
- Equipment is for use by current dues-paid members only.
- A deposit of $250 (in the form of a check payable to S.O.L.A.R.) is required for the first two items borrowed and $50 for each additional item, unless otherwise agreed upon by the equipment manager.
- The length of time that equipment will be borrowed is determined by the equipment manager and borrowing member. Generally, the equipment is due by the next monthly S.O.L.A.R. meeting immediately following the activity, or returned to the equipment manager within 5 days of member’s activity. Failure to return equipment in good condition, in a timely manner, or not at all, could result in loss of some or all of the deposit.
- All equipment that S.O.L.A.R. owns is available to members, with the exception of rock climbing and caving equipment:
- Rock climbing gear is only available for S.O.L.A.R. climbing trips or classes.
- Caving equipment is only available for S.O.L.A.R. caving trips or classes.
- The member must have completed the Basic Backpacking class or shown proficiency in backpacking activity to borrow backpacking equipment. The equipment manager will determine and/or verify member’s qualifications.
- All classes have priority over the equipment while the class is in session.
- Equipment is available on a first come, first serve basis.
Equipment Use Procedure
- Read and understand the Equipment Use Rules.
- Read and understand the Equipment Use Agreement.
- Submit a request for equipment to the Equipment Manager (via email, phone, etc). Please include the date needed and proposed return date.
- Equipment Manager will supply a copy of the Equipment Use Form with a list of the equipment to be borrowed and the required deposit.
- Upon equipment pickup, the Equipment Manager will require that the Equipment Use Form be signed and a deposit made.
- Enjoy using the equipment!
Donating Equipment to S.O.L.A.R.
If you have some gently-used equipment that you no longer use, please consider donating it to S.O.L.A.R. for member use.
All equipment must be in good condition. Contact the Equipment Manager, Phil Crookshank, via email for more information on donating equipment to the organization.