Over the years, S.O.L.A.R. has purchased a full range of gear to help our members enjoy the many classes, trips and activities run through the club. While outdoor fun can be an expensive thrill at times, S.O.L.A.R. members have access to a wide variety of gear for many activities at minimal or no cost. Members can also borrow equipment for non-S.O.L.A.R. activities. Just roll over the images below to see some of our equipment stash:
How do I reserve a piece of equipment?
Contact the Equipment Manager, Phil Crookshank, via email or at (248) 797-2885.
Please read the "Equipment Use Rules" below prior to reserving equipment. You may need Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader on your computer to access the "Equipment Use Agreement" and the current equipment listing which is highlighted near the bottom of this page.
You can download the latest version of Adobe Reader here: .
You can download the latest version of Foxit Reader here: .
You can view and download the "Equipment Use Agreement" here.
Equipment Use Rules
- Equipment is for use by current dues-paid members only.
- A deposit of $250 (in the form of a check payable to S.O.L.A.R.) is required for the first two items borrowed and $50 for each additional item, unless otherwise agreed upon by the equipment manager.
- The length of time that equipment will be borrowed is determined by the equipment manager and borrowing member. Generally, the equipment is due by the next monthly S.O.L.A.R. meeting immediately following the activity, or returned to the equipment manager within 5 days of member’s activity. Failure to return equipment in good condition, in a timely manner, or not at all, could result in loss of some or all of the deposit.
- All equipment that S.O.L.A.R. owns is available to members, with the exception of rock climbing and caving equipment:
- Rock climbing gear is only available for climbing trips or classes offered through S.O.L.A.R.
- Caving equipment is only available for caving trips or classes offered through S.O.L.A.R.
- All classes have priority over the equipment while the class is in session.
- Equipment is available on a first come, first serve basis.
Equipment Use Procedure
- Read and understand the Equipment Use Rules above.
- Read and understand the Equipment Use Agreement.
- Submit a request for equipment to the Equipment Manager (via email, phone, etc). Please include the date needed and proposed return date.
- Equipment Manager will supply a copy of the Equipment Use Form with a list of the equipment to be borrowed and the required safety deposit.
- Upon equipment pickup, the Equipment Manager will require that the Equipment Use Form be signed and the required safety deposit be made.
- Enjoy using the equipment!
Currently Available Equipment
The current equipment list can be downloaded as a PDF document here.
Donating Equipment to S.O.L.A.R.
If you have some gently-used equipment that you no longer use, please consider donating it to S.O.L.A.R. for member use.
All equipment must be in good condition. Contact the Equipment Manager, Phil Crookshank via email for more information on donating equipment to the organization.